Saturday, September 26, 2009

WWMD (What Would Milla Do) Project Runway : Avant Garde Surfwear

In a recent episode of Project Runway, the designers were challenged with designing an Avant Garde look inspired by surfwear.
I decided to take a stab at the challenge and this is what I came up with:



It was actually inspired by this photo:



I know that juxtaposing the ideas of fashion and whales is akin to blasphemy...LOL

But they said avant garde!

The look is a black and white neoprene dress with a hood and exaggerated cloche skirt with a visible YKK zipper, sequin leggings and blue ombre ankle boots.
What I took from the whales was the basic color blocking and the idea of a belly patch that follows the general shape of the body. Being literal without being too literal and actually adding depth to the optical illusion of a more pronounced waist line.
I am trying to "flesh out" my basic croqs (drawings of bodies on which I sketch the clothes) but it's hard... it's going to be a process....

No comments: